Friday, April 4, 2008

Love Library & Sheldon Art Gallery

Today, I spent some time at UNL's Love Library researching the "finer" points of Louis Zukofsky's poetics, a continuation of my quest to answer the question: "How do you make a Zukofsky without Organs?" I can't really tell if I made any headway or not, but I going to err on the side of saying that I didn't. Nonetheless, I march on into the abyss of stupidity that is my personal whims & interests. If you click on the image to the left, you will get all the bigness that is the spine of LZ's epic "A". Be afraid, be very afraid.


Afterwards, I headed over to Sheldon Museum of Art & took some photos of Mark Rothko's Yellow Band (1956)...until I was asked to stop. That's why galleries & museums are so super-terrific: in their reification of the art-object, they succeed in robbing the work of any dynamism it once had & turn it into a static entity for the a) crusty, b) rich, or c) cache of some ideological institution. The image to the right is a close-up of an area where the yellow band & one of the orange color fields converge. Click on the image for bigness of the tension provided by warring light waves.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The way to make a Zukofsky without Organs is to use a violin instead.