Sunday, February 1, 2009

Eat Your Dream

From Andre Breton's "Manifesto of Surrealism":

"Memory alone arrogates to itself the right to excerpt from dreams, to ignore the transitions, and to depict for us rather a series of dreams than the dream itself...I would like to sleep, in order to surrender myself to the dreamers, the way I surrender myself to those who read me with eyes wide open; in order to stop imposing, in this realm, the conscious rhythm of thought. Perhaps my dream last night follows that of the night before, and will be continued the next night, with an exemplary strictness...Why should I not expect from the sign of the dream more than I expect from a degree of consciousness which is daily more acute? Can't the dream also be used in solving the fundamental questions of life? Are these questions the same in one case as in the other and, in the dream, do these questions already exist?"

No comments: